Top of page
Skip to main content
Main content

Declaring a Music Major & Advising

Students may officially declare the Music Major in the spring semester of their freshman year and must do so by the end of their sophomore year.

To officially declare the Music Major, use the "Declaration of Major" tool in your OPUS account. Please refer to the OUE guide for assistance. Track selection is available when declaring your major through OPUS. Please ensure you have met the initial requirements before selecting a track.

Performance Track

To declare a music major in the Performance track, students must first audition on an instrument and, if accepted, enroll in MUS 320 Applied Music for Music Majors by completing a permission form found outside of Room 236 and returning it to the Academic Services Coordinator. Following a successful audition, the student will next submit the Music Major Track Selection form.

History, Culture, and Theory or Composition Track

To declare a music major in either the History, Culture, and Theory Track or Composition Track, students should refer to the "Declare a Major" tool found in OPUS.

To declare a music major in the Composition Track, students must first take MUS 121 Theory and Analysis I, and one semester of MUS 349R Composition before submitting the Music Major Track Selection form.

NOTE: If History, Culture, and Theory Track or Composition Track students wish to enroll in MUS 320 applied lessons, they must first audition with the performance area coordinator (voice, piano, strings, winds, etc.).

Advising Assignments

Once students have completed both the OUE Declaration of Major form and the Music Major Track Selection form, they will be assigned to a music advisor. The DUS is the official advisor for all transfer students, Oxford continuees, and all Seniors during the fall semester of their senior year.

Dropping the music major: Students should fill out the same OUE Declaration of Major/Minor online form in OPUS to drop the Music major. The ASC will notify the faculty advisor and complete the necessary paperwork.

Degree Applications: The Director of Undergraduate Studies signs all degree applications and will consult with individual faculty advisors as needed. Any requests to alter music major track requirements must be approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

Note: The PACE advisor is the faculty advisor of record through the first semester. Students will transfer to the music faculty advisor for the spring semester.