Jazz Studies Auditions
Prospective students should prepare two jazz standards with contrasting tempos and styles demonstrating their ability to state the melody, improvise and interact within a live trio or quartet setting. Pianists and guitarists should demonstrate their ability to comp and solo. Bassists should demonstrate their ability to create a walking bass line. Drummers should demonstrate their ability to use sticks, brushes and mallets and play contrasting styles such as swing (medium and up-tempo, bossa nova, etc.) Recommended tunes include: "Just Friends", "Out of Nowhere", "Time After Time", "Blue Bossa", "Straight, No Chaser", etc.
We request that all jazz applicants submit audio and video files online rather than by mail. Students should submit a link to an unlisted prescreening video uploaded to You Tube or Vimeo. Audio recordings should be submitted as MP3 files.
- Title the video file as "Emory Jazz Audition: YOUR NAME, DATE"
- You may submit up to two videos demonstrating contrasting styles
- Upload video to YouTube or Vimeo as an unlisted video and provide a viewing link via email
- Refer to the general auditions guidelines above regarding content.
- Each song should be recorded as a separate audio file.
- Each MP3 file should not exceed 10 MB in size.
- File name should be "last name_first initial_instrument_style" i.e. smith_j_sax_bossa
- Each audio file should be attached to a separate email to insure delivery.
Send video links and audio files along with contact information to:
Professor Gary Motley, firstname.lastname@example.org