Requirements for the BA in Music: Research Track
Students may complete a Music Major Track Selection Form online and submit.
Theory/Analysis (15 hrs)
- MUS 121
- MUS 122
- MUS 221*
*Ethnomusicology: a student pursuing the Research Track and writing a research thesis may substitute one elective appropriate to his or her research focus for MUS 221, if approved by the student¿s advisor.
History/Culture/Theory (20 hrs)
- MUS 200 Music, Culture, and Society
- History & Culture Category A: Choose two courses
- History & Culture Category B: Choose one course
- History/Culture/Theory Category C: Choose two courses
Performance (4 hrs)
Choose any combination of MUS 300 Ensembles and/or MUS 320 Applied
Electives (6 hrs)
Choose two courses from the following list:
- Courses from History & Culture Categories A, B, or C
- MUS 222
- 3 credit hours of MUS 497 Supervised Reading
- A cognate course arranged with the student's advisor
Optional: If approved, a student may write a capstone thesis during the senior year. Students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher may submit a proposal to complete an honors thesis in the research track. See honors guidelines for detailed information. Click here for more information.