Honors Program in Music
Within the Department of Music there are five tracks for honors projects: performance or composition, each culminating in a solo recital; research, culminating in a written thesis; and hybrid forms of research/performance and research/composition culminating in a lecture/recital. These projects should represent high achievement within the undergraduate academic setting, on a par with the best undergraduate work at any academic institution. Students with a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA are eligible to submit a proposal for faculty approval. Proposals must be submitted by March 1 of the junior year. Eligible students should see the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Honors Coordinator before January 20th of the junior year for guidelines and procedures for submitting a proposal. Honors students will also need to have identified a major advisor for the project before submitting the proposal.
Faculty approval of an honors proposal is based on student eligibility, the merit of the proposed project, and the faculty members' assessment of the student's work at that juncture.
See below for deadlines and forms.
For information, contact:
Honors Students 2016-17
Important Dates and Deadlines
Sign into the Honors blackboard site to print the forms you need: Honors Committee form, Degree application form, form that states level of honors that you provide to your committee at your defense or recital, honors thesis submission form.
Fall 2016/Spring 2017 College deadlines
- Mandatory Honors Meetings for Students (students must attend ONE meeting below)
9/19, 4-5pm; 9/28, 4-5pm; or 10/4, 4-5pm
- January 20, 2017 Honors Committee personnel due
- February 3, 2017 Updated honors rosters due (Honors Coordinator)
- April 11, 2017 noon Honors Thesis Submission deadline; ETD deadline Spring17 grads
- April 13, 2017 noon Honors Forms Submission deadline for Spring 17 grads
- May 7, 2017 College Honors Ceremony