Declaring a Music Major and Advising Assignments
To declare a music major in the Performance track, students must first audition on an instrument and, if accepted, enroll in MUS 320 Applied Music for Music Majors. Following a succssful audition, the student will next complete a Declaration of Major form with the Academic Services Coordinator in BRB 236 and submit the Music Major Track Selection Form by the end of the sophomore year.
Research or Composition Track
To declare a music major in either the Research Track or Composition Track, students should complete the Music Major Track Selection Form online and submit. NOTE: To declare a music major in the Composition Track, sudents must first take MUS 121 Theory and Analysis I, and one semester of MUS 349R Composition before submitting the Track Selection Form. The student will then:
- be contacted by the Academic Services Coordinator and complete the student portion of the Declaration of Major form
- meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies; if approved, the DUS signs Declaration of Major form
- return the Declaration of Major form to the Academic Services Coordinator in BRB 236 to be filed with with the Registrar's Office
- NOTE: If Research or Composition Track students wish to enroll in MUS 320 applied lessons, they must first audition with the performance area coordinator (voice, piano, strings, winds, etc.)
Once students have completed both the Music Major Track Selection Form and the Declaration of Major Form, they will be assiged to a music advisor. The Director of Undergraduate Studies is the official advisor for the following groups of students:
- All Transfer students and Oxford continues
- All Seniors during the fall semester of their senior year
- Performance Track students for whom Guitar is the primary instrument
Dropping the music major: Student should contact the Academic Services Coordinator who will notify the faculty advisor and complete necessary paperwork.
Degree Applications: The Director of Undergraduate Studies signs all degree applications and will consult with individual faculty advisors as needed. Any requests to alter music major track requirements must be approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Note: The PACE advisor is the faculty advisor of record through the first semester. Students will transfer to the music faculty advisor for the spring semester.